Stone, lithographic
Use this image
Can I reuse this image without permission? Yes
Object images on the Ingenium Collection’s portal have the following Creative Commons license:
Copyright Ingenium / CC BY-NC-ND (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0)
ATTRIBUTE THIS IMAGE
Ingenium,
2004.0454.001
Permalink:
Ingenium is releasing this image under the Creative Commons licensing framework, and encourages downloading and reuse for non-commercial purposes. Please acknowledge Ingenium and cite the artifact number.
DOWNLOAD IMAGEPURCHASE THIS IMAGE
This image is free for non-commercial use.
For commercial use, please consult our Reproduction Fees and contact us to purchase the image.
- OBJECT TYPE
- double sided
- DATE
- 1900–1922
- ARTIFACT NUMBER
- 2004.0454.001
- MANUFACTURER
- Unknown
- MODEL
- Niagara St. Catherines & Toronto Railway Co./ Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway Co.
- LOCATION
- Unknown
More Information
General Information
- Serial #
- N/A
- Part Number
- 1
- Total Parts
- 1
- AKA
- N/A
- Patents
- N/A
- General Description
- stone
Dimensions
Note: These reflect the general size for storage and are not necessarily representative of the object's true dimensions.
- Length
- 30.4 cm
- Width
- 25.2 cm
- Height
- 6.5 cm
- Thickness
- N/A
- Weight
- N/A
- Diameter
- N/A
- Volume
- N/A
Lexicon
- Group
- Railway Transportation
- Category
- Operations
- Sub-Category
- N/A
Manufacturer
- AKA
- Unknown
- Country
- Unknown
- State/Province
- Unknown
- City
- Unknown
Context
- Country
- Canada
- State/Province
- Unknown
- Period
- early 20th century
- Canada
-
The Niagara, St. Catherines & Toronto Railway Company (1901-1960) was an interurban and city transit operator incorporated in 1898. It was acquired in 1908 by the Canadian Northern Railway which on 20 December 1918 became Canadian National Railways. After 1922 the railway was designated the Canadian National Electric Railways: NS&T Railway District. All bus operations were conducted under the name Canadian National Transport Limited as part of NS&T services (Ref.1). The Winnipeg, Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company (25 May 1908 - 30 April 1939) was incorporated 05 July 1900 to build and operate a steam or electric railway from Winnipeg north to West Selkirk or the west shore of Lake Winnipeg. Steam operation commenced 29 August 1904 (formal opening ceremonies were held 26 August 1904) from Winnipeg via Middlechurch and Lockport to Selkirk. Controlling interest in the WS&LW was acquired by the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company (city system) in March 1906. Limited electric service began in June 1906 but full electric operation was not ready until 1908 (formal opening ceremonies were held 23 May 1908, RFC). Buses began serving selected Winnipeg - Selkirk runs 11 June 1931 and all electric rail operation on the Winnipeg - Selkirk line ceased in favour of buses 01 September 1937 (Refs.1&2). An item from the collection of Mr Andrew Merrilees acquired between the 1950’s and his death in 1979. Mr. Merrilees was a noted collector of early railway and transportation material and was particularly interested in pre-1920 photography. The majority of Mr.Merrilees’ collection was sent to the National Archives circa 1980, his printed material to the National Library and the Ontario Archives. The material in this donation was retained by Andrew Merrilees Ltd., currently owned by Dr. Robert Stewart (Acquisition proposal for AK0114 archival material by D.Monaghan, in Supp. Info.). - Function
-
Used in offset printing to carry the image to be printed, in this case, on one side for the Niagara St. Catherines & Toronto Railway Co. and the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway Co., and on the other side forms for manufacturers. - Technical
-
An example of an engraved stone used as an original in printing. Because transfers could be cheaply made from the original engraved stone, lithography was the preferred process for printing large numbers of a given form or format, for many years. Their use is now generally limited to artists - Area Notes
-
Unknown
Details
- Markings
- Black labeling for certificates on one side reads 'Incorporated by Special Act of the Parliament of the Dominion of Canada/ $100 EACH/ SHARES/ CAPITAL/ 1,000,000.00/ The Niagara St. Catherines & Toronto Railway Company./ 100 SHARES' and 'Province of Manitoba Dominion of Canada/ The Winnipeg Selkirk and LAKE WINNIPEG RAILWAY COMPANY/ Incorporated under 63 and 64 Victoria Chapter 78/ Statutes of Manitoba/ 5% FIRST MORTGAGE GOLD BOND'/ black lettering on the other side for forms reading in part 'The Order of Bank of Montreal/ The Rock City Tobacco Co., Limited [script]', 'The Rock City Tobacco Co., Limited/ Bank of Montreal [script]', 'W.Y. King & Son/ MANUFACTURERS/ AGENTS/ Montreal' and 'ESTABLISHED 1853/ LICENSE No 11-599/ Telfer Brothers, Limited [script]/ BISCUIT MANUFACTURERS/ 139-159 STERLING ROAD/ Toronto, [script]/ Canada'
- Missing
- complete
- Finish
- polished
- Decoration
- N/A
CITE THIS OBJECT
If you choose to share our information about this collection object, please cite:
Unknown Manufacturer, Stone, lithographic, between 1900–1922, Artifact no. 2004.0454, Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation, http://collection.ingenium.ca/en/id/2004.0454.001/
FEEDBACK
Submit a question or comment about this artifact.
More Like This


































































































